If you need a quick and simple snack or dessert recipe, these are perfect. These Frosted Banana Cookies have become my new favorite way to put my soft brown bananas to use. They are so easy to make and taste absolutely amazing.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 bananas (ripened and mashed)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 bananas (ripened and mashed)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (more or less depending on the consistency that you like)
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream sugar, butter, shortening, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add bananas and then mix in the eggs.
- Blend in buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over-beat. It will be a sticky batter. Drop by tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, until slightly golden.
- Cool completely.
- Mix all ingredients together and spread over cooled cookies.
GO WITHOUT THE ICING AND REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING SWEET:
For this recipe, the icing is really my favorite. It is so yummy and so simple to just whip up. It’s full of flavor and pairs perfectly with these banana cookies.
If you don’t have enough bananas for the icing or time, substitute any of the many toppings such as cream cheese swirls, nutella, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips …..
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE THESE COOKIES?
If you do have some leftover, the best way to store them is putting them in the fridge.
Place them in an airtight storage container, and putting them in the fridge.
If you aren’t going to eat them for more than a week, I recommend freezing them, by placing them in an airtight storage container and putting them in the freezer.
They will last nicely in the freezer for about 2 weeks, and in the fridge, about 3-5 days.
To thaw them, place them in the fridge overnight and serve them the next day. Don’t microwaving them, because the frosting will melt and lose its amazing texture. I think these are delicious when they are partially frozen and cold.